Dr. Scales is an honors graduate of Harvard University. He is a Board Certified general orthopedist with over 25 years of experience treating athletes, children, and seniors for their orthopedic conditions and injuries. He received extensive training at the NJ State Trauma Center. A former NJ State High School and NJ AAU Champion in sprinting, Dr. Scales has extensive interest and experience in sports medicine, ranging from treating spectators and athletes at the NJ Meadowlands Sports Complex, to serving as a consultant for the NJ Cardinals. He also served as a volunteer physician for U.S. Winter Olympic athletes at the Lake Placid U.S. Olympic Training Center. A former Chief of surgery at Newton Medical Center, the accomplishments of Dr. Scales have led him to be recognized in Marquis Who’s Who in the World as well in Who’s Who in Medicine & Healthcare.
Dr. Scales believes in treating others as he would himself or family. He has 3 sons with his wife, Donna Coppola DMD, who is a dentist in Milford, PA. His interests include his family, exercise, music, and interviewing for the Harvard Club of N.J.
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988.
Recertified, 1998, 2008, 2018
- A.B.(cum laude), Psychology , Harvard University, Cambridge, MA., 1974
- M.S., Physiology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick , NJ., 1978
- M.D., Medicine, UMDNJ- Rutgers Medical School, Piscataway, NJ., 1979
- General Surgery, UMDNJ- Rutgers Medical School, Piscataway, NJ., 1979-80
- Full Time Graduate Student, Physiology Dept., Joint MD-PHD curriculum of UMDNJ – Rutgers Medical School and Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ., 1980-1982
- Orthopaedic Surgery, UMDNJ- N.J. Medical School, Newark, NJ., 1982-86
- Chief Resident, 1986
- Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton, NJ.,Full Attending Staff, 1986-present
- St. Clare’s Hospital- Denville, NJ., Consulting Staff,1991-present
- Wayne Memorial Hospital, Honesdale,PA., Consulting Staff, 1996-2005.
- Surgical Center
- North Jersey Center for Surgery, Newton, NJ., 1998-2015
- Associate in Surgery, UMDNJ – Rutgers Medical School, Piscataway, NJ, 1980-82.
- Preceptor, Physician Assistant Students, Marywood University, Scranton, PA, 2007-present
- Preceptor, Nurse Practitioner Student, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2009.
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, N.J. Medical Society
- Member, N.J. Orthopaedic Society
- Member, U.S. Olympic Sports Medicine Society
- Member, Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Sussex County Medical Society, Sussex County, N.J.
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine, Previous
- Member, Physician’s Association, N.J. Patrolman’s Benevolent Association, Previous
- Member, Law Enforcement Physician’s Association, Fraternal Order of Police,NJ Lodge #3,Previous
- New Jersey, 1980
- Pennsylvania, 1994
- North Carolina, 2011
- Advisor, Management Committee, Board of Directors, Premier Health Associates, Sparta, NJ. Andover Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Group, PA merged with Premier Health Associates, June 1, 2016
- President, Andover Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Group, PA, 1988-2016
- Assistant Medical Director, North Jersey Center for Surgery,Newton,N.J. 2012-2015.
- Clinical Peer Reviewer, CID Management,Westlake Village, CA, 2011-present.
- Independent Medical Examiner, CFO Medical Services,LLC, Roseland, NJ.2006-2008.
- Orthopaedic Consultant, NJ Cardinals, Professional Baseball Team, Skylands Park, Augusta, NJ, 1995-2005
- Medical Director, North Jersey Center for Surgery, Newton, NJ, 2002-2005
- Vice Chief Medical Staff, Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton, NJ, 1998
- Chairman, Quality Performance Committee, Executive Board of Directors, Garden State Orthopaedic Network, IPA 1996-2000
- Medical Management Committee, Wes-Com Health Care, Inc., PHO 1996-1998
- Physician, Sports Medicine Clinic, US Olympic Training Center, Lake Placid, NY USOC Volunteer Medical Program, July 3-18, 1997
- Medical Staff Representative, Newton Memorial Hospital Foundation, 1996-1998
- Chief of Surgery, Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton, NJ, 1994-1996
- Vice Chief of Surgery, Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton, NJ, 1992-1994
- Surgical Credentials Committee, Dept. of Surgery, Newton Memorial Hospital,1994-1998
- Staff Physician, Medical Unit, Meadowlands Sports Complex, NJ Sports & Exposition Authority, Rutherford, NJ, 1980-1989
- Orthopaedic Surgeon, D’Ascoli Orthopaedic & Physical Therapy Center, Sparta,NJ,1986-88
- General Practitioner, Catholine Gibbs Memorial Health Center, Jersey City,NJ,1980-1982
- Advisory Board of Health, Franklin Township, Somerset, NJ 1980-1982
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, July 1, 1980
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, Marquis Who’s Who Publications Board, May 2017.
- Who’s Who in the World, Marquis Who’s Who, 21st Edition, 2004
- Who’s Who in America, Marquis Who’s Who, 58th Edition, 2003
- Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who’s Who, 4th Edition, 2002
- Who’s Who in New Jersey, 1992
- Princeton Swing Band, Princeton ,NJ, First Chair Tenor Saxophone, 1976-1990
- Harvard University Jazz Ensemble, First Chair Tenor Saxophone, 1971-1974
- Harvard Club of New Jersey Scholar, 1971
- New Jersey State High School Track Champion, NJSIAA 100-yard Dash, 1969
- New Jersey A.A.U. Junior Olympic Track Champion, 100-yard dash, 1969
- New Jersey All-State High School Band, Tenor Saxophone, 1967
- Televised 20 minute interview, WMBC (Mountain Broadcasting Corporation). Topic: “Sports Medicine,” April 14, 1993
- Lecture: “Orthopaedic Surgery,” Department of Exercise Science and Sports Studies, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, March 30, 1993
- Lecture: “Sports Medicine,” Colby College, Waterville, ME, October 22, 1992
- Kleinert, Hollis D., James L. Scales, and Harvery B. Weiss, Effects of carbon monoxide or low oxygen gas mixture inhalation on regional oxygenation, blood flow, and small vessel blood content of the rabbit heart, Pflugers Archive. (European Journal of Physiology) 383: 105-11, 1980.
- Interviewer, Schools Committee, Harvard Club of NJ ,1975-2015
- Sideline Physician, High School Football Games, 4 High Schools in Sussex County, NJ. and Pike County, PA 1991-2015.